Objectives of the Customs Services Department
The primary function of Customs Services Department is to assess, collect and account for import duties and taxes due on imports.
Apart from its fiscal responsibilities, Customs Services department is responsible for the following:
- Enforcement of Customs legislation and other relevant laws;
- Facilitation of legitimate trade;
- Protection of society from illegal entry and exit of prohibited goods;
- Compilation of trade statistics for economic planning
- Take all actions necessary to identify and combat evasion of duties and to combat fraud in it’s many forms;
- Ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the Customs Services department through enhanced management controls, training, increased accountability and the expansion of computerization.