RRA Training Institute Establishment
RRA focuses on strategic Talent management for the development and retention of high potential employees for the organization, to identify essential skills to be developed in all employees. Rwanda Revenue Authority (RRA) have been developing staff since it’s inception in 1998, where training of staff has been an integral business function as the success of the organization depends to a great extent on the knowledge, skills, competences, expertise and motivation of the employee, which is continually developed to meet new challenges. Until 2007, RRA hired a variety of external training venues with large variations in the quality of the learning environment due to the absence of dedicated training facilities, yet several training interventions were carried out in-house and delivered by internal resources.
To remedy these shortcomings, an internal training Institute was established and officially opened on 27th July, 2007 in the Southern Province. The Institute is situated in Huye town and the distance from Kigali – RRA Head quarter is 142 km, which is 2 to 3hrs drive.
The objective was to provide a high-quality learning environment; minimizing distraction and maximizing concentration on studies, since far from the busy work schedules in Kigali and homes.
To provide quality and professional training in customs and tax administration and other relevant courses through highly motivated and professional trainers" while developing and maintaining a quality knowledge centre for the benefit of RRA staff and external customers.
To become a world class training Institute in tax and Customs administration.
1. Develop the Training Institute by:
This is achieved by:
- Building and maintaining a high-quality learning environment;
- Designing a staffing and management structure which provides flexibility to meet demands; while minimizing costs;
- Identification of optimum curriculum options for RRA and other revenue organizations;
- Providing a modern ICT-enabled learning environment;
- Providing a variety of learning options for clients;
- Developing ICT digital library facilities to support distance and continuous learning programs;
- Leveraging the facilities and expertise of the Institute to become a hub for external activities, both regionally and internationally.
2. Create strategic partnerships with revenue authorities in the region and beyond
This is achieved by:
- Accessing the best customs and tax programs regionally and internationally;
- Sourcing lecturers, trainers and researchers to deliver expert professional programs;
- Organizing exchange and attachment programs with other revenue organizations;
- Developing research specialization, exchange programs and information sources to support continuous improvement and education.
3. Develop a high quality curriculum
This is achieved by:
- Working closely with other tax administration training Institutes on curriculum development;
- Providing customs, tax, ICT, leadership and management-development skills courses;
- Developing flexible learning curricula with a modular approach to curriculum design;
- Securing professional recognition for courses through certification and accreditation;
- Providing access to further education qualifications to support career planning and lifetime learning.
4. Develop high caliber trainers/training experts
This is achieved by:
- Selecting staff with expert knowledge in their field of work in conjunction with strategic partners;
- Providing training for trainers on modern ways of course design and delivery;
- Supporting trainers to undertake research in their field of expertise for curriculum development on new trends and techniques;
- Identifying leading international expert(s) to lead specialist annual commissioner/director workshops on new techniques in customs and tax administration.
5. Develop a research library and distance learning resources
This is achieved by:
- Building high quality conventional and digital library facilities;
- Providing a body of reference knowledge covering customs & tax administration digital data from the whole of Africa;
- Encouraging customs and taxation research projects to be undertaken by students and staff;
- Providing ICT-enabled distance-learning facilities to support access from across the region and Africa as a whole.
6. Create market-driven strategies to attract clients
This is achieved by:
- Building a responsive and focused management team to lead and market the services of the Institute;
- Preparing annual marketing and communication plans for the Institute;
- Marketing the facilities and courses to external organizations across Africa;
- Establishing relationships with local, regional and national Institutes to host workshops; including public and private sector organizations;
- Creating a professional organization as the Training Institute of choice for customs and tax administration in Africa;
- Building and maintaining a positive image of the Institute;
- Communicating extensively and proactively to users and other stakeholders using the website, electronic media marketing, RRA brochures, newsletters, research reports and annual training plans
Organizational Structure for the Training Institute
The Training Institute is headed by a Deputy Commissioner assisted by an Assistant Administrative officer.
The department is divided into two sections;
q Academics deputy principal that heads 4 course coordinators in Tax, Customs, Management and development and IT with a vacant position.
q Administration deputy principal, assisted by the Institute Training coordinator/ Custodian, 1 librarian at the head quarter, one Senior Trainer officer and one estate technician. The Institute is supported by part-time trainers across all organizational departments who deliver trainings as per training calendar.
The Training calendar
We organize course programmes in conjunction with internal core trainers and some external consultancies particularly for top management and advanced courses where we lack the expertise internally.
The training calendar is always ready at the beginning of every financial year. Individual staff identify courses and Departments determine the kind of training intervention suitable for their staff and submit their departmental training plan to the Training/ Human resources department. These are prioritized per course among the approved and implemented training.
The main training courses delivered at RRA Training Institute
The training institute develops specialised and general courses and provide training in the following areas among others:
Top Management and development courses
Corporate Culture and Change Management
Leadership and Management
Management (in general)
Effective Management Skills Course
Management Development Programme
HRM for Managers
Advanced Management Programme
Human Resources Planning, Policies and Procedures
Training of Trainers (New, Refresh and Advanced)
Effective Communication and Public Relations
HR management and development courses
Inventories monitoring courses
Operational Security Management
Project management courses
Risk management courses
Ethics & Interpersonal Relations in Revenue Authorities
Supervisory Management Course
Store management Course
Telephone Operations & the Public
Office Administration Course for support Staff
Records Management Course
Other strategic courses
Management and Technology
Accounting software courses
Business DATA science related courses
E-learning: selected online courses
II. IT Courses
IT career path
Business Intelligence and Data Ware House
Advanced Excel (Microsoft Excel Master Class)
International Computer Development and Learning (ICDL)
OCA/OCP “Course for DBA Administrators
Duty remission scheme procedures
SCT Export procedures
III. Customs and Taxes (Technical courses)
Basic and Intermediate Skills in customs and tax procedures
Investigation Course RPD Officers
Accounting & Auditing Procedures in Revenue Administration
Surveillance & intelligence in Revenue Management
Understanding Frauds, Tax Evasion- and Defaults Course
Crimes investigation related courses
Financial analysis courses
Tax fraud awareness
DTD specialized sector courses
IV. Induction Courses
Basic courses being delivered to new staff joining the organisation, staff needing refresher courses, staff transferred or promoted to new positions and general management skills is provided to all staff.
V. Specialized Courses
Specialised or advanced courses delivered to staff that have undergone basic training or those that need to be updated with knowledge and new skills to carry their duties effectively.
VI. Long term Course sessions
Longer training sessions for instance MBA programmes are scheduled at the Institute delivered by external competent universities. However we have no capacity for issuing bigger certificates since not yet accredited.
Although, there is a hope of the Institute being accredited and relocate to a larger facility in Nyanza town. The Institute’s future expectation is to establish a bigger Institute with varieties of facilities, which will accommodate national and international programs and conferences.
RRA institute has fully fledged facilities including training rooms, resident accommodation, catering services, a digitalized library room with modern computers for internet access, a common room, a Television with full banquet – channels, administration offices and extra-curricular.
The facility contains 3 training rooms, with sitting capacity of up to 50, 25 and 20 participants respectively. It also has 23 standard twin-accommodation rooms, seven double rooms and an executive suite fully furnished.
The training institute has a sitting capacity of 30, with E-Learning courses rich with variety of courses in tax, customs, management and general knowledge reading materials.
The restaurant is open from 07hrs to 21hrs with a capacity of 40 seats. In addition a gymnast is available occupying 15 people.
There external recreation facilities; Swimming, Football at the near Huye town Stadium, Walking exercises and enjoy the University of Rwanda (Huye - Campas) with cool view of Historical trees for relaxation. The national Museum, Nyanza Kings palace, Murambi Genocide memorial site (Nyamagabe) Etc.
The Training Institute, is a good place for training, learning environment and various recreation access for relaxation with the available and future planned facilities. The Institute is enjoyed internally, however other sister Revenue Authorities (EAC) are accommodated occasionally and a hope for a bigger and a public Training Institute in the near future as the establishment for a bigger venue is in progress.